Monday, May 1, 2017

Ironman Peru 70.3 Done!!!!

Last Sunday I became an Ironman 70.3 Peru finisher! The trip to Peru and back was long as I only had four days there but overall the experience was great. The organization of the race was fantastic and so was the support of the people on the streets especially for it being the first time Lima had an event of this size. The swim was a little choppier than I had anticipated but went really well once I was able to get my rhythm going. ​​ Off to the bike. I started off feeling comfortable and confident. I was concerned about the heat in general luckily although warm it was an overcast day which helped. Also it was not very windy which was nice. The main problem were the speed reducers. Lots and lots of them all over the course. This proved to be very hazardous and painful. Lots of people lost bottles, CO2 cartridges, sunglasses, tubes, got flats and even fell off their bikes. By the end of the 56 miles my back was starting to hurt from holding on to the bike so tight overtime I went over one of these. This should definitely be covered up in some way for next year. I unfortunately lost one of my water bottle with GLUKOS in it so by the end of the bike my nutrition was off. ​​   ​​The run! At this point the sun was starting to shine through, I was tired and my nutrition was off due to losing my water bottle on the bike course I know it was going to be a very long 13.1 miles. I took the first two miles to try an cool down my body as I could tell I was starting to overheat a little. I went into every aid station asking for ice, water and Pepsi. Put ice in my trip suit took a sip of water and dumped the rest on me and drank some Pepsi. Drinking the Pepsi really helped in the end I was able to pull it together and although slow was able to maintain a pace. ​​   That was the 70.3! As I said great time and lots of great support. Thank you to everyone who has helped me on this journey and a special thanks to Las Primas, GLUKOS, Sunshine Dairy/Sunshine Power, Grennlayer, and Rudy Project. ​​   ​​Whats next? Eugene Marathon in one week!

No comments:

Post a Comment