Friday, January 14, 2011

Yes! I ran a fast 5k!

For New Years while many people went to a party I decided to participate in two 5k's the First Run of the Year (at midnight) and the Twenty11 Resolution run at 10am on the 1st of January. It was very very cold and windy here but my friend and I set out to do it anyway. We ran the midnight run together and then the next morning I raced as hard as I could in the Twenty11 Resolution run, I was determined.

I started off pretty good at about a 7 minute mile pace. As I looked at my Garmin I decided there was no way I would be able to sustain this so I tried slowing down a little bit. Next thing I knew I had covered 1 mile just keep going I told myself. I ran and ran and finished great. My average pace for the 5k was 7:36 minute miles the fastest I have ever done! I placed 2nd in my age group and 8th overall! It was a huge accomplishment I hope I can pull this off during my sprint races this year! It was really fun to start off the new year with a couple of races and a medal.

2 comments:

  1. I just started following your blog and I think you placed right ahead of me in the Resolution Run. Awesome job on doing both races!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes it looks like you came in right behind me, very close one! Good job to you as well.

    ReplyDelete