Saturday, August 7, 2010

Can I run 17 miles

I was hoping the answer to the question can I run 17 miles was going to be yes! It was hard but it was not a huge problem, unfortunately that is not the answer I have today. Todays workout was focusing on the upcoming Portland Marathon so I had to go for a 17 mile run. I woke up ate and was thinking positive as I set out on my run. Immediately I was not really feeling it the air felt heavy and I was having a hard time breathing.

I carried on though thinking that I would be able to get into some sort of rhythm 4, miles, 7 miles, 9 miles, no rhythm no rhythm at all just more and more pain. I can believe this I thought to myself I still have 8 miles to go I am never going to make it I was starting to cramp up. I kept on going and my pace slowed down by about 20 seconds a mile and my knees became more and more inflamed.

At 13 miles I thought ok "only" another 4 miles I can do it. I powered through it and completed the distance but in A LOT of pain! I got home drank chocolate milk ate and went to take a nap. Now I am still sore and icing my knees but I feel a little better. Tomorrow Providence Bridge Pedal!



2 comments:

  1. I am a Kitsap TriBabe, in Kitsap county, washington. Today we had a mini-tri in preperation for the Danskin next week, 1/2 mile swim, 7.2 mile bike & 1.6 mile run, mostly for transistion practice for the newbies. I can't swim worth a darn but I did well on the bike and the run was OK. Funny thing is, I did each part in almost 30 minutes. Achilles tendons are bothering me so I walked up the hills, need to save them for next week. Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice, thats cool that you get to practice like that. That is interesting that each segment took 30 minutes. You will do great at your race, it is not uncommon for people to walk up the hill. let me know next week how you do.

    ReplyDelete