Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Can I run 19 miles?

Sorry it has been a while since I last posted, a lot has been going on. It is my last few days of preparation for the City of Portland Olympic distance triathlon (race is on Sunday!) There has also been a really crazy heat wave here, I know everyone has a heat wave but when it usually doesn't get over 85 and the houses and city can't handle the heat neither can the body.

Anyway on Saturday my Portland Marathon training said I should run 19 miles I woke up really early to try and get the run in before the heat wave got me. I started at 6am I guessed it would take just over 3 hours. I ran far, really far, at the halfway point the sun was already fully out blaring on me. I kept going as I was about 7 miles from my house and it just kept getting warmer and warmer and harder to continue. At mile 15 I started feeling like I was not going to make it. I said to myself its all in your head keep going. I stopped at a park to wet my head and try to cool off. I kept going had to start walk/running. From mile 17 to mile 17.5 I was not able to run or walk in a really straight line so I decided it was probably time to stop. I was really disappointed but thought it was the best thing to do. So that was that......

Then the heat wave got warmer and warmer, today is the first day it has let up but I hot a nasty cough on Friday (yes the day before my 19 mile run) and it is not letting up! I want to get my final triathlon training in but I have this respiratory problem now. I don't know what to do! I hope t clears up by Sunday though!

No comments:

Post a Comment