Thursday, March 11, 2010

What a difference a couple of days make.

On Monday I had the best 8 mile run of my life which had left me really excited and motivated about running. It also gave me great hope that I would do well for the 2010 Hippie Chick Half Marathon but then I had to run in 80 degree heat a couple days later and my happiness was over.

My workout consisted of a 50 minute run, at a conversational pace with 3-5 20 second strides inserted into the run. Because of certain obligations I was only able to go running at 2pm in the highest heat of the day which was between 80 and 82 degrees. Five minutes into my run a knew there were going to be problems. I was huffing and puffing and I still had 45 minutes to go what was I going to do? My pace was not conversational at all in fact I felt like I was comming close to having a heart attack!

One mile into it I wanted to stop so bad but I kept telling myself that I could do it just keep going, keep going. I ended up running five miles it was very very difficult nothing like my very satisfying 8.1 mile run. I told my coach about this we agree its the heat. I have reached the conclusion that I am better suited for mild Pacific Northwest weather.

I am trying to not be discouraged since I know the heat is a huge factor but it is hard not to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment