Saturday, October 10, 2009

Harvest Ride; Hillsboro, Oregon


Living in the Portland, Oregon area gives me lots of chances to do nice organized rides. The last organized ride of the season is called the Harvest Ride so my friend and I decided to do it we thought it would be a fun 45 mile training ride, its for a good cause why not we thought.

I woke up in the morning and it was cold 44 degrees and we heard there was going to be a 13 mph headwind later on in the day. My friend cam to pick me up to drive about an hour out to where the ride started we were a little early so we were feeling good. Next thing I know my friends says oops I think I missed my turn. Great I thought, we are on the freeway and had missed our turn, not a good sign it was a good thing we were early. We turned around missed our turn again (don't know how) and for some reason I look at the gas gave it was on red! We are going to run out of gas I said, out in the middle of nowhere with no gas station in sight. Oh I forgot to get gas last night my friend said, great I though.....

Then I saw our exit turn its our exit I exclaimed, we did and for some reason turned right instead of left and drove away from civilization with no gas once again. I asked where are we going I don't know my friend responded, turn around I said this is the wrong direction and we don't have gas! We drove for another 4 miles finally in the right direction and finally got gas and eventually got to the ride.

The ride was fun we barely made the start time it was cold but sunny with 10mph wind but all in all a well organized ride that was lots of fun. In the same way that we started we managed to take a wrong turn and ended up riding 50 miles instead of 45. I am really glad I was able to do it and make it there in time to start. I think I will do it again next year!

1 comment:

  1. Great blog and thanks for sharing your ideas and thoughts. Love it if you can share some of it with other moms.

    I am mom from the bizymoms Hillsboro community.
    http://www.bizymoms.com/hillsboro/index.php

    ReplyDelete